Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Talk About Internet Safety

I talked with a 13 year old about internet safety. It was interesting because she was actually discussing a lot of the things we learned at her school. She knows what cyber bullying is, but said it is not something that she has come in contact with. She never gives personal information out on the internet. She has a facebook account, but it is blocked to everyone but the friends she adds. She said that she only adds friends that she knows well. I told her how important this is and that people on the internet aren't always who they say they are. It sounded like they've been taught all of this in school which I think is really important. It is especially important to present information like this in a way that will get the point across to kids, not to scare them, but to make sure they don't try to push the limits. I think the youth I interviewed was very receptive and will continue to do what she is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment